Friday, February 17, 2012

The Dunes & Duchess


This post is long overdue.  When the photoshoot for the Better Homes & Gardens New Cottage Style book took place, I had the pleasure of meeting stylist Stacy Kunstel and photographer Michael Partenio.  Their work is amazing and I thought you would enjoy seeing some it.

Stacy is not only a stylist but an editor, writer and producer.  She is Homes Editor of New England Home magazine, New England Home Cape & Islands, New England Home Connecticut and is regional editor for national magazines Traditional Home, Better Homes & Gardens, Country Living and Renovation Style.

Stacy has her own blog StacyStyle with recurring posts on design, travel and, my favorite, her 5 Best Things of the week.

Here are a few shots she styled. 


This next shot is one I've seen all over the internet and Pinterest and it's one of my favorites.


And here are a few of Stacy's covers.


The next I think is my favorite.


One of the things that impressed me the most about Stacy and Michael, aside from their vision, was their work ethic.  When they arrived at my house, they had been on the road for three weeks, shooting in a different location every few days.  After working all day my house, they had an evening meeting with a client in Boston to go over 2000 photos and then they were back at my house by 9:00 the next morning to finish the job.

Here is some of Michael's work:

Photo:  Michael Partenio


Photo:  Michael Partenio

Photo:  Michael Partenio
 If you love these shots you may want to look through Michael's portfolio. Every luscious shot captures the beauty and air of New England.

Photo:  Michael Partenio

***AND**

If that isn't enough, Stacy and Michael also have a company called Dunes and Duchess that creates the most beautiful handmade (in America) lamps, sconces, candelabra, tables and chairs.









I particularly love their lamp paired with a wood veneer shade.
 



Below is their limed oak candelabra which is quite exquistite.

They just attended the New York International Gift Show (photo of their booth below) where their products were very well received and I'm seeing rave reviews all over the internet.

For more information on where you can buy Dunes and Duchess products, see the main page of their website and scroll down to the bottom.


Stacey Kunstel and Michael Partenio:  I think they're quite the Dynamic Duo.

32 comments:

  1. Love, love, love their lighting.
    I am honored to have had Michael as the photographer on our photo shoot for our feature in Renovation Style. I think Stacey's styling is fabulous- she has such a great eye.

    happy weekend!
    cheers!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a dynamic duo. The photos are wonderful and their lighting is amazing. For a minute there I thought you were having a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've seen Dunes and Duchess recently and I love their products! Really colorful and well made. Perfect for my new client's home.

    Those photo shoots are so much fun and watching a stylist and photographer work together is a great experience. You'll have to share some of what you learned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that 6th photo. what talent. you really got lucky with these 2! amazing portfolios.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love this lighting!! Thanks for the intro, I had not seen this before, Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely artists...all around! Can't wait to see their eye and lens on your home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Stacey and nice to see how much her style has grown over the years. I'm excited to see the pictures from your shoot.

    Happy Weekend!
    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this post, including your typo. When Dunes and Duchess make scones, bakers better watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Pam! I'm sure their scones are delicious but thanks a different post. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Steve,
    Stacey is just a dear. I love following their blog as they rehabbed their island cottage on Chappy~their professional work together is some of the prettiest stuff out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve,
    I love their work. What an experience to have been able to see them in action at your own photo shoot. #6 is my favorite as well as Janet's. White, light, natural, lots of details, but still somewhat uncomplicated. Are those columns on each side of the fireplace part of Dunes & Duchess' work? It looks like a taller version of their lamp base. I think at least a candelabra is in my future, although I do love that lamp base with wood veneer shade.
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  12. They need to check out lakeslampshades.com Would be an awesome combination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FABULOUS - I just adore both Stacy and Michael as well as their beautiful Dunes & Duchess - love seeing it all together here!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steve,
    We are beyond flattered by your post and all these wonderful comments. We're so lucky the fates brought us into your beautiful world. All the best to you! Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sally and I have had the pleasure of working with Stacy shooting/styling/producing one of our projects for New England home magazine. She has the ability to walk in to a room and intuitively know the point of view that will show the room off to it's best advantage and style it in a manner the supports and enhances the rooms style and feel. Yes, she's got quite a motor! It was non-stop. Always planning the next two shots while over seeing the shot being done.

    Have a wonderful Sunday!

    Cheers,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  16. And they make them in red.

    I rest my case.

    They are fabulous.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful photos dahhling... their lighting designs are simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post. The behind the scenes people are as important as the subject matter, and they rarely get the credit and attention they deserve. Their work is beautiful and the collaboration on their Dunes & Duchess line is brilliant stuff. It's such a perfect balance of traditional shapes with timely colors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great post! The most exciting part to me, tho, was the news that you are on Pinterest - hope you don't mind if I follow you there?

    ReplyDelete
  20. these photos are amazing. their lighting gorgeous also...:) chris

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's what I was going to say: the dynamic duo -- but you beat me to it. Amazing lighting design -- it's so different than anything out there. Stacey has my dream job, although I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful work, and I love that you note their work ethic. I think this is the key to success at everything, isn't it?! Lovely!!

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  23. Steve, a pretty dynamic trio! (:
    You attract goodness!

    How fun with the vibrant colors a la the Dunes and Duchess. Those products will be pinned a lot!

    Just joined Pinterest myself. I am clearly not an early adopter...

    Hugs from Seattle

    Mon

    ReplyDelete
  24. I especially liked the yellow, white and black rooms. Hoping Camille will paint the twins' sleigh beds (which I slept in as a child) black and do something like this with their room.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, gorgeous! I love Michael's work, that last house you showed was lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is nothing that woman can't do. Plus she is a major fashion plate. And a sweet sweet true person to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Steve, I am so thrilled and excited for you. I believe I have said it before, no one has worked as hard on a house as you. K

    ReplyDelete
  28. Without a doubt. Mad talent, both of them. Some of those images I have had in my files for years.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Everything they do is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for the gorgeous pictures. I particularly love the black, white and yellow. So sparkling and fresh! Stacey and Michael are such an energetic pair, I wish them the best!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the D&D line...especially the black and white pieces...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete